Gender Marker X

What Is Gender Marker “X”

Gender Marker “X” is a new option on Maine State ID Cards, including drivers licences, that can be placed in the “gender” field instead of '“M” for male or “F” for female. It was added by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles to provide a more accurate gender marker for non binary and intersex Mainers who are not comfortable with an M of F designation.

How do I get “X” on my ID?

Changing your state ID to gender marker X follows the same process as changing your gender marker to anything other than what it was originally. You will need to complete a Gender Designation Form and submit it at your local BMV office, or at a pop up BMV site. Gender Designation Forms require a provider signature, but not surgery. Detailed information on updating gender markers and names on a state ID can be found from our friends at Pine Tree Legal here:

Gender Marker X and “REAL ID”

The State of Maine has recently provided the option to obtain what are called REAL ID state ID cards. REAL ID is a federal ID requirement that most states are working to meet with their state ID programs. Beginning in October 2020, a REAL ID or passport will be required to board domestic flights, and to access certain federal buildings. Non REAL ID Maine State IDs can still be used for any other purpose, such as driving, or verifying identity while purchasing a product, but not for boarding domestic flights or accessing certain federal buildings.

For more information on REAL IDs, please see this info page from the Maine BMV:

Gender Marker X state IDs can be REAL ID Compliant if you elect to have them be so when applying for, or renewing your ID, and provide the necessary documentation.

Documentation needed for all REAL IDs

According to the Maine BMV, the following documentation is needed to obtain a REAL ID:

  • One document that establishes identity, date of birth, and proof of U.S. citizenship, lawful permanent residence, or temporary lawful status in the U.S.

  • One document to establish proof of Social Security Number or evidence of Social Security Number ineligibility. (Such as: A W-2 form with applicant's name and full SSN; Social Security Administration Form 1099 with applicant's name and full SSN; Non-Social Security Administration Form 1099 with applicant's name and full SSN; or pay stub with applicant's name and full SSN on it)

  • Two documents to establish proof of residence in the State of Maine, such as a utility bill, paycheck stub or mortgage statement (P.O. Box is not acceptable).

Visit the following website for more details about these requirements:

What if I changed my name, but have not updated it on my documents?

According to the BMV “If your name has been legally changed and now differs from your identity document(s) (i.e., birth certificate or passport), proof of the name change must be provided to obtain a Real ID. Acceptable documents supporting a legal name change include a marriage license, divorce decree, or court order. In all cases, the documents must show a clear trail of name changes from the name on the identity document to the current name.

I already changed to gender Marker X and want a REAL ID

A common concern of people who already have a X gender marker who want a REAL ID is that their supporting documents such as birth certificates and passports do not reflect this gender designation. If you already have a gender marker X, we are told by the BMV that you have already supplied the needed documentation (Gender Designation Form) to explain this discrepancy, and it should not be a problem. You may want to be prepared to explain the discrepancy, and if you have a copy of your gender designation form you may want to bring it, though it should not be required. This system is new, and not all BMV workers will have the same level of knowledge of working with non binary people. If you bump into issues, you can request that your local office contact the main office in Augusta for clarification.

I want to change my gender marker to X , my name, and get a REAL ID at the same time

Doable! You need to supply all the documentation for each of the changes you want to get simultaneously. Documentation for name change or gender marker change should provide the necessary paper trail for REAL ID supporting documents such as birth certificates.

  • For Name Changes: bring a court order of name change, or a marriage or divorce certificate

  • For Gender Marker Change: bring a completed Gender Designation form

  • For REAL ID documentation, bring the documents described in the “Documentation for REAL ID” section above.